Tax Credit

Non-Business Energy Property Tax Credit
The American Taxpayer Relief Act

The Non-Business Energy Property Tax Credit has been extended through 2013 and is retroactive for 2012. The purpose of the credit is to help lower home energy bills and to reduce air pollution. The following outlines the requirements:

The renovation must be on an existing residence that is your principal residence:

  • Only 10% of the cost of the building materials is covered.  No labor.
  • The maximum amount allowed is $500. Windows are capped at $200. 
  • This amount applies to a homeowner’s cumulative claims dating back to 2006.  So it you have already claimed credits whose sum is $500 or over, you are not eligible for more.
  • The credit pertains to insulation, exterior windows and doors that meet Energy Star requirements, central air conditioners, heat pumps and furnaces.
  • You will need the Manufacturer’s Certification Certificate. If you purchased your unit(s) at Bartlett Brainard Products, please contact us for the necessary documentation.
  • See the link below regarding how to apply for this tax credit.  IRS Form 5696 needs to be submitted with your tax return.

Get more information from

Get An Estimate